- Short Story Collections: When I first started Triple R, short story collections was also something I refused to review. I love reading short story collections, and I have a few short story collections on my shelf worn from all the rereading. But I'm not too certain yet how to review a short story collection. Still, it seemed silly to deny short story collections, since I already have two short story collections on the Upcoming Book List.
- Poetry: Honestly, I don't quite grasp poetry, nor do I much care for it. I don't understand poetry well enough to offer any type of credible opinion or review about one. I'm not downing poetry at all, but it's not for me, is all.
- Literary Fiction: Whether or not I'll review literary fiction is similar to my feelings for short story collections and is, to be honest, conditional. I love reading literary fiction. I love the focus on characterization and style as opposed to plot, like in contemporary/genre fiction. If said literary fiction doesn't digress too far into style and flowery, archaic prose, I'll review it with no problem. It's like how Cinders by Michelle Davidson Argyle is literary fiction disguised as fantasy, but I'm comfortable with Michelle's writing style and don't really mind.
- Erotica: I have nothing against sex, not in reality or with books. In books, I think it's a good way to show characterization and is, furthermore, pretty natural for humans. However, with erotica, all the sex distracts me from the actual plot, and I sometimes start to feel like it is simply detracting from the story. Whether I'll review an erotica is conditional. If the story is good outside of the erotic scenes, and the eroticism isn't too intense for my liking, then I may still read it.
- Children's: By children's, I don't mean Harry Potter or the Graveyard Book. I mean little kid books, like picture books and pop-ups. I have no idea how I could review material like that.
Reader's Den is Hibernating
For how long? I'm not entirely sure, and there's a chance that she may never wake up. Still, that doesn't mean you shouldn't read, enjoy, despise, and/or discuss the 46 reviews, 16 guest posts/interviews, and 5+ contributor posts.
Friday, January 14, 2011
Book Review Explanation, I go to great pains to make it clear that I don't read 'poetry, literary fiction, erotica, or children's books' and that 'I don't prefer short story collections.' The actual reasons why are as much about me still trying to better my reviews as they are about my reading preferences. Triple R is, btw, a general reviewing site. It's not dedicated to any one genre, though you'll see quite a lot of horror/supernaturals. Generally, I'll read almost anything capable of holding my attention past five minutes, no matter the form. However, that doesn't mean I would have any idea how to go about reviewing said piece. Here, I'll just explain why.
Posted by Tiffany at 5:28 PM